[AusNOG] back of envelope sizing calculations

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Thu Mar 5 14:27:57 EST 2009

On 05/03/2009, at 12:16 PM, Michael Bethune wrote:

> What kind of non-end of life Cisco router model could
> handle domestic and international BGP tables + 3 GigE interfaces
> peaking at 100Mb/s or so (where the back traffic is a third of that).

3 * GigE and a full table?  Sounds like a job for a 7200 NPE-G1 to me.

You can do 3 * GigE's easily on L3 switches but you won't get a full
table.
You can get a full table on an ISR, but you won't get 3 * GigE.

So 7206-VXR NPE-G1 or a 7301.

David