[AusNOG] 'X' carrier tethering on iPhone v3.0

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Jun 19 13:30:39 EST 2009

On 19/06/2009, at 12:05 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> And out of curiosity.. - has anyone using GPRS-only devices (aka
> non-3g, like my XDA IIs) stopped being able to get a data connection
> up since 3.0 went live?  I haven't been able to get a GPRS
> connection up on my XDA for two days now..

Ahh, answering my own question, they appear to have turned off the
'internet' APN on mobile phone connections - has to be yesinternet
now.. (I've always just used 'internet', so I can swap sims between
various devices and not worry about which sim is a phone sim and which
is data, if i needed data in a hurry somewhere.. Apart from needing to
use a different APN on the prepaid internet sims, Optus have always
been pretty lax in what APN you connect to to get to the internet..
Maybe people tethering their Iphones has made them secure things up a
bit.. :)

--DG

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust