[AusNOG] 'X' carrier tethering on iPhone v3.0

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Jun 19 12:05:26 EST 2009

On 19/06/2009, at 11:44 AM, John Lindsay wrote:

> On 19/06/2009, at 10:56 AM, Mark Newton wrote:
>
>> Having trouble understanding how Optus (or any other carrier) can
>> distinguish between tethered access using their $10 per month paid-
>> for
>> option, and tethered access using http://tetherme.lstoll.net/
>> that the end-user has set up without consulting them for free.
>
> Well they will be able to distinguish the access to the special APN
> that the tethering service will use and which will only be
> accessible to customers who pay the fee.
>
> They won't be able to distinguish normal iPhone traffic from
> unofficial tethered traffic using the above tool or http://help.benm.at/help.php
>
> But they may spot the usage pattern...

I'd been wondering about that.. I've been waiting for the 3.0 update
to come out so that tethering was supported, so that I could replace
my current setup of a boring old nokia navigator with a 1gb data plan
doing phone calls + internet connection over bluetooth to my
macbookpro, plus my old XDA IIs on a 100mb/month plan doing my email,
with a single iPhone on the existing 1gb phone plan (and move the sim
from the XDA into the PABX here so we get free calls to all the
mobiles on our business account).. - Are they going to want to force
me to change over to an 'iphone' plan??

And out of curiosity.. - has anyone using GPRS-only devices (aka
non-3g, like my XDA IIs) stopped being able to get a data connection
up since 3.0 went live?  I haven't been able to get a GPRS connection
up on my XDA for two days now..

--DG

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust