[AusNOG] Bulk Movement of Sensitive Computer Equipment

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 13:06:27 EST 2009

Don't you just push it off the back of the truck :)

It's probably a bit late to add my $0.02 but we were moving a rack loaded with gear once (IBM iSeries with SAN) and had booked COPE. They hadn't shown up my about midday and so we called them up and they had "misplaced" our booking. The rest of the datacenter had already been moved to the new location (along with most comms) and so it had to be done on the day. We called mini-movers (local residential removalist) who sent a truck around in a couple of hours and we got the rack moved same day.

Using mini-movers was a calculated risk, but all backup procedures had been taken (full tapes & DR procedures up to date & tested along with DR rack in a seperate location that wasn't being moved). If we hadn't moved the rack that day we would have had to failover to the DR rack/location anyway, so if the truck crashed or the gear was damaged we wouldn't be any worse off than not moving (apart from having to do a complete reubild of the primary server/rack and file insurance claims, etc).

It all went smoothly in the end and after pizza & beer at around 2000 that evening the rack was up and running at the new location but NOT moved by COPE.

regards,
Tony.