[AusNOG] DNS reflection attack

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Thu Jan 22 21:18:41 EST 2009

Seems there is a 3rd IP that is also sending queries, though only once a
minute or thereabouts.

And according to nanog its actually an attack against some nameservers
operated by ISPrime.

ISPrime suggests blocking any traffic from those two IPs that is not UDP
source port 53, as they are authoritative name servers only.

3rd IP is 76.9.16.171.

In the short time that I have had my ACL in for the other two Ive blocked
over 11,000 packets.

Tom