[AusNOG] USB-powered switch +mirror

Ben Buxton bb at cactii.net
Wed Jan 7 17:53:46 EST 2009

If you want to go the truly hackish route, you could simply build a
passive tap that taps off the two lines into the RX ports of a pair of
ethernet cards.

That's how fibre taps work, it should work on cat5 too.

BB

Craig Meyers <Craig.Meyers at citec.com.au> uttered the following thing:

> Wanted to say thanks for all the ideas guys. On and off-list.
>
> The request is manly for those situations where the client doesn't have
> a managed switch to mirror the port.
>
> Hubs are probably a bad idea for what I had in mind. As Sean said below
> - it changes the nature of the connection and could introduce more
> errors than the ones I want to detect.
>
> Network taps were suggested. These look a great idea. But price for me
> is a bit out of range. Prices I saw in Aus were hovering around the $700
> mark. I guess more suited to permanent monitoring setups.
>
> A portable 10/100 TAP I saw a price for was $129US:
> http://www.barracudatap.com/
>
> Love reading all the hacks to savage more power out of a laptop. Also
> you get more power from the PS2 port if you're desperate :)
>
> The cheapest hack though, is to grab a USB gig ethernet adapter ~$50AUS
> and ethernet cross-over cable, and bridge two ethernet interfaces under
> Windows XP. Then under wireshark select the bridge interface as the
> source for the capture. Works really well.
>
> -- Craig Meyers

Ben Buxton - Random Network Person