[AusNOG] USB-powered switch +mirror

Craig Meyers Craig.Meyers at citec.com.au
Wed Jan 7 13:35:55 EST 2009

Wanted to say thanks for all the ideas guys. On and off-list.

The request is manly for those situations where the client doesn't have
a managed switch to mirror the port.

Hubs are probably a bad idea for what I had in mind. As Sean said below
- it changes the nature of the connection and could introduce more
errors than the ones I want to detect.

Network taps were suggested. These look a great idea. But price for me
is a bit out of range. Prices I saw in Aus were hovering around the $700
mark. I guess more suited to permanent monitoring setups.

A portable 10/100 TAP I saw a price for was $129US:
http://www.barracudatap.com/

Love reading all the hacks to savage more power out of a laptop. Also
you get more power from the PS2 port if you're desperate :)

The cheapest hack though, is to grab a USB gig ethernet adapter ~$50AUS
and ethernet cross-over cable, and bridge two ethernet interfaces under
Windows XP. Then under wireshark select the bridge interface as the
source for the capture. Works really well.

-- Craig Meyers