[AusNOG] Bandwidth prices/recommendations

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Feb 26 18:20:33 EST 2009

Peering is much more than PIPE IX, Equinix IX or WAIX though - even in
Australia.

MMC

On 26/02/2009, at 5:48 PM, Damien Morris wrote:

> Tier1 = networks we can’t reach at PIPE or Equinix Exchange.. ;-)
>

> On 26/02/09 6:15 PM, "Matthew Moyle-Croft" <mmc at internode.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> Scott,
> What do YOU mean by "Tier1"?   The concept of Tier 1 in Australia is
> interesting as most of the global tier 1s are forced to buy transit
> from Optus/Telstra/AAPT.   The only actual "Tier1" in Australia is
> VzB (AS703) I'd assert.  Neither Optus, Telstra or AAPT are "Tier1s"
> as they all buy their international off parent companies - none of
> whom are Tier1s.  Optus and AAPT both purchase International transit
> in Australia from other parties as well.
>
> MMC
>
> On 26/02/2009, at 5:13 PM, Scott Howard wrote:
>
> It's too many years since I've had to buy bandwidth in Australia,
> so...
>
> I'm trying to get some ballpark figures for tier 1 bandwidth
> delivered to a datacenter in either Sydney or Melbourne (flexible to
> which city and which datacenter).  Preference is for 100Mbps,
> although we'll also consider 10Mbps or 50Mbps with the option to grow.
>
> Appreciate any comments as to roughly how much we should be looking
> to pay, and/or recommendations on who is best to talk to.
>
> Thanks,
>   Scott.

Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 5, 162 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909