[AusNOG] Interesting - How a Router's Missed Range Check Nearly Crashed the Internet

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Feb 26 16:45:47 EST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Mark Smith wrote:

> Mark McKibbin wrote:
>> Mikrotik may be Latvian but the owner is a Texan (just like George
>> Bush)…..explains everything.
>
> This is all pretty xenophobic guys. I'd thought people on this list
> would be smarter than that. Imperfection is a human trait, not one
> attributable to a country or race.

That's absolutely true but different cultures do have somewhat different
outlooks[1].

IMHO calling it xenophobic was a bit strong, even if we can't attribute
poor software development practices to Texans.

One of the strangest things about the human condition (IMHO) is the
competing forces presented by our common humanity and our differing
cultures.

FWIW my nuclear family[2] has three nationalities and two ethnicities[3].

[1] Recent research suggests that the prevalence of certain behaviour
altering parasites among some cultures may have impacted the success of
these cultures.  Wow.

[2] My daughter is the real winner here as she scores all the passports
through descent ;)

[3] There's no such thing as races within the human species.  It's an
historical fiction that won't seem to go away.  Ethnicity on the other
hand is quite real[4] and can be seen in predisposition to certain
diseases, for example.

[4] My this email has a lot of footnotes.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy