[AusNOG] apnic - desi valli spam?!

Sean K. Finn Sean.Finn at ozservers.com.au
Fri Feb 20 14:51:18 EST 2009

I Hate to not tow the AusNOG party line, but, is it counted as spam if he's one of the candidates, and you are one of the listed voting members?

What I mean to say is, we all (presumably) pay for membership to APNIC, and Desi is looking for our vote in this organisation, to which the spamee's have listed themselves as contacts.

Unexpected yes, Unsolicited? Maybe not. Bulk? For sure.

Did anyone receive one on an email NOT linked to an APNIC address?

My view is it would depend partially each on.

1.        How Desi harvested the email addresses of the contacts. (Was given list by APNIC or instead trawled AP netblocks)

2.       Terms and conditions of our APNIC membership covering election email and candidate email communication if there is any.

I personally don't consider this spam, and although my vote has been allocated, I at least get to know a little bit about one of the other running candidates.

I don't think he's going to be setting any fashion trends in this neck of the woods, but at least he didn't ask me to buy any enhancements or medications along with his vote.

-Sean.