[AusNOG] Soul DDFM Services

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 15:32:34 EST 2009

Turns out I was wrong (I'm having a week, where everything I say/do is wrong, so it figures), but I guess that happens when you're taking a stab in the dark using a marketing PDF for reference.

A little birdie (might have been a pidgeon, not sure) gave me the following info (and said it was OK to share it):

========
DDFM = EFM E.SHDSL 5.7Mbps bonded upto 8 ULL pairs, also what Powertel offer via their Herratas DSLAMS as Mid-Band_ethernet (i think)

DDFE = 34Mbps/45Mbps SDH mux with a Cisco ONS (i think a 5305, but my memory is failing me) or patton E3 units at the end to present as ethernet. The SDH is typically a telstra based service X163 back to a SPT NAP / aggregation point to plug into the MPLS network. They have a DDF service which replaced the DDFE which is a 155Mbps STM1 based SDH telstra haul to the same Cisco ONS platform.

The voice stuff is all IP, (SIP or H323), so dont think its any diff. With one exception they do/did offer a 2Mbps X163 type data service in voice only mode, to emulate a channelized ISDN type interface, connected at the NAP end to a Cisco 5400 E1 port.
========

The only thing I can add is to confirm that PowerTel is bonding multiple ULL with Hatteras boxen. I've seen a 6M ethernet link from PowerTel that is exactly this (2x 3M ULL due to distance from exchange) with a Hatteras NTU.

regards,
Tony