[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

Darren Moss Darren.Moss at em3.com.au
Thu Dec 17 22:10:33 EST 2009

That was very good viewing.

I had no idea X-rated content was not included.

How will "the filter" determine if x-rated content does not contain
"inappropriate" or "child related" material ?
Is somebody going to watch material and make a determination ?

Maybe we should ask the porn manufacturers to adhere to a classification
standard. You think.

I understand there is a great deal of contention regarding this topic,
but all emotive comments aside, surely we are not yet ready for
"solution mode" when fundamentals are not in order. Given taxpayers'
money is about to be spent on this, I would be very nervous about the
potential (lack of) results.

It appears a classic case of business making plans which are not
technically sound, not to mention wasting millions of dollars and the
time of service providers who are already battling to maintain third
party compliance (AFACT vs iiNet current example).

A simple web browser proxy setting or tunnel will defeat the whole
filter.

Whilst some of the general public, who choose to defeat "the filter",
won't give a toss for AUSNOG (and other group) rantings, the biggest
issue I see is that we are all going to be forced to pay for compliance
(infrastructure and software) when the very people who we are supposed
to be protecting will just proxy around it anyway.

Regards,

Darren Moss
General Manager, Director
[p] 1300 131 083 [f] 03 9017 2287
[e] Darren.Moss at em3.com.au [w] www.em3.com.au

em3 People and Technology | Managed Technology Experts
postal: PO Box 2333, Moorabbin VIC 3189

New Zealand Airedale Street, Auckland City
[p] 09 92 555 26 [f] 09 887 0273 [m] 021 841 541