[AusNOG] Carrier Independent Peering Exchange

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Thu Dec 17 12:19:10 EST 2009

> Boo hiss to doing anything in an AAPT operated/owned DC.

And I think that's the cautionary tale that should be remembered and one
that PIPE brought to flashpoint.  PIPE had a torrid time when the
muppets in control of AAPT at the time decided to stop 'peering' and
competitive carriers from interconnecting/offering services in their
facilities.  We were happy to stay in their facilities, bring customers
to them (via our DCI and dark fibre circuits) and offer our IX services
within their facilities.  AAPT in their ultimate wisdom turned against
the industry and decided that a colo customer can only buy their
services yada-yada-yada.  All of us were happy to pay to be in their
DC's as long as they were reasonable, but of course, they were
unreasonable.

Within 6 months everyone deserted the facilities and AAPT found that
they no longer had commercial relationships with much of the industry
and even worse, had to establish PoP's in numerous datacentres to
service existing customers.  If it weren't for AAPT's acquisition of
Powertel, AAPT Wholesale, in my opinion, would have withered and died.
A few years later, AAPT/Powertel have learnt their lessons and now
offers some excellent wholesale services, particularly in the L2 product
suite.  Mind you they still have not been able to re-engage with a
number of major accounts that were torched.

I can say that the management of PIPE and TPG are acutely aware of the
history of acquisitions and the lessons that have been learnt.  Should
the deal proceed, you will not find a reduction in offerings or value,
but an increase.  PIPE peering, DCI/Ethernet, colo are expected to be
expanded.  PIPE peering ain't going anywhere, anytime soon.

I'm staking my reputation on it.

Cheers

[b]

PS: PIPE will again be sponsoring Ausnog, Commsday etc. etc...