[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

Jacques Kosky jmkosky at vicnet.net.au
Thu Dec 17 10:31:06 EST 2009

Hi Folks
I noticed that the two dominant topics of conversation on the list are
internet censorship and peering. This may well be a completely
stoopid/fooked up idea but I am just going to throw it out there for
discussion.
Reading the list today I noticed that Bevan Slattery put forward that
piping (no pun intended) requests though a public proxy would circumvent
the internet filtering and that Eric Pilkerton pointed out that doing so
is a massive security risk.

Here is my possibly daft idea. Please don't flame me for it.

 If ISPs are concerned about Conroys daft filtering scheme why not
combine to throw in some $$ and get some hardware installed somewhere
outside of Australia (Guam maybe :-) to act as a, presumably secure,
public proxy and then offer it to customers as a service?