[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Wed Dec 16 10:52:40 EST 2009

On 16/12/2009, at 12:25 AM, Damien Coxall wrote:

>> Perhaps this could co-incide with the IPv6 CPE Rollout coming up ;)
> Apparently the trial ignored IPv6, so maybe it's about time we all start accelerating our IPv6 rollouts?

I don't usually spend much time talking about speed, because it's
largely irrelevant.

But the Minister has spent two years trying to convince everyone that
it's the only metric that matters, so one could reasonably expect that he'd
put at least a token effort into producing some useful throughput figures
in his trial report.

Sadly, no.

Has anyone looked at the absolute maximum throughput figures logged
in Appendix 1?

No product was tested at faster than 8 Mbits/sec.

Compare that to the 12 Mbits/sec baseline described on page 4 of
the Technical Testing Framework released last year, and one could
argue that none of the results comply with the trial's requirements.

The NBN is supposed to run at 12.5 times the speed of the fastest product
tested.  There is nothing in the report to indicate whether there are any
performance issues between 8 Mbps and 100 Mbps.  And due to the
total lack of international experience in running these systems on national
100 Mbps networks, he can't even turn to other countries for advice.

What a debacle.

Perhaps this explains why Conroy sat on this resolutely embarrassing
report for three months before he could raise the courage to publish it.

Just sayin'.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)