[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Tue Dec 15 17:23:12 EST 2009

On 15/12/2009, at 4:46 PM, Julian De Marchi wrote:

> I totally agree with you Matt. I am curious; in the report it states
> that ISPs can front the cost for the filtering technologies(Like they
> do overseas). Would the ISPs then pass this on to the consumer by way
> of higher connection prices, or a fee/levy?

I guess that Conroy's hoping market forces mean ISPs just have to suck it up.

If it was up to me I'd explicitly put a fee on customers bills to remind them about the cost inflicted by the government for such a heinously stupid idea.   I might then donate that to a charity who actually helps create good outcomes for kids in danger possibly demonstrating with some media coverage about how misspent the money was.

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs