[AusNOG] Kohler: Solution to the NBN article

Darren Moss Darren.Moss at em3.com.au
Tue Dec 8 16:26:11 EST 2009

Hi Noggers,

Saw this article on SmartCompany from Alan Kohler and thought his view
was very interesting, especially regarding separation of Telstra = No
need for NBN.
The basic premise (his opinion) is that if Telstra is structurally
separated, we wouldn't need to build an NBN.

Sounds OK in theory, if you were making a whole bunch of assumptions
that it's "just a network", but really it's a whole lot more.

I'm not sure if the general public understand what the NBN is or the
importance of multiple players (carriers, providers, etc) being
involved, regardless of any potential Telstra separation.

In my humble opinion, it's not really about Telstra at all. They might
play some role in providing network services, but isn't the NBN all
about a carrier-neutral infrastructure which provides a benefit to all
Australians (regardless of location). Yeah, I know, the "regardless of
location" bit is a struggle for regionals.

Read more here:

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/internet/20091208-the-solution-to-the-nbn
-mess-kohler.html

Cheers.

Regards,

Darren Moss
General Manager, Director
[p] 1300 131 083 [f] 03 9017 2287
[e] Darren.Moss at em3.com.au [w] www.em3.com.au <http://www.em3.com.au/>

em3 People and Technology | Managed Technology Experts
postal: PO Box 2333, Moorabbin VIC 3189

New Zealand Airedale Street, Auckland City
[p] 09 92 555 26 [f] 09 887 0273 [m] 021 841 541