[AusNOG] DDoS Attacks - Painful and Persistent.

Nick Brown nick at inticon.net.au
Mon Aug 10 16:55:31 EST 2009

Roland Dobbins wrote:
> When you can spare the time/resources to do so, it would be a good
> idea to examine this host and its outbound/crossbound traffic in order
> to see if it's been compromised and is being used as a botnet C&C, to
> host pirated content/warez, etc.  These can make it a target - the
> miscreants often go after one another for financial and other reasons.

To clarify the target has changed as follows over the 3 weeks, each time
moving on as we blackhole the destination;

1. iBGP interface between two routers - Unsure why this target was
selected, it is not visible in any traces the target would have completed
2. Interface on our side on PTP link between us an an upstream carrier -
This can obviously be overcome by using private address space between
your carrier and yourself
3. Our website IP - this is on a server that does very little except
serve our website
4. Our website IP again, after the site was moved to an alternate IP on
the same box, in a separate subnet.

We have no reason to believe that the attack is the result of either
compromised routers or our web server (We have gone over the webserver
with a fine comb) however at the same time are bracing ourselves as we
do somewhat expect that in the event the DDoS stops permanently for
whatever reason, we may see attacks and attempted exploits of other sorts.