[AusNOG] Asymmetric BGP question

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Wed Aug 5 15:41:39 EST 2009

Hrrm,

This is really a boggle, and one I cant stop thinking about.

Now, if AS1 wasn't using outgoing BGP to dump its traffic onto AS1 TRANSIT PROVIDER, you could POSSIBLY, although not NICELY, pre-pend AS1-TransitProvider to *your* BGP path and see-what-happens.

This may make AS2 drop AS1-TRANSIT-PROVIDER as the return path, and dump your traffic into Equinix, although, I'm not sure how this would get you back to AS1.

Could you perhaps talk to the NOC's of AS1-TRANSIT-PROVIDER or AS2, or possible get AS1 to escalate a job request to the NOC's on your behalf?

I'm sure if you got through to speaking to a sane person capable of making a change, they would see how silly it was to have the traffic doubling back.

Better yet, if you know AS1-TRANSIT-PROVIDER or AS2 and could publicly disclose, then maybe someone lurking on this list is that sane person you need to reach, or has had a beer with them recently at the very least.

-S.