[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be a PON variant for sure...

Alastair Johnson aj at sneep.net
Thu Apr 30 12:53:42 EST 2009

MILES DAVID wrote:
> Other economies such as our friends across the ditch in NZ are adopting this VLAN-per sub model, OfCom (UK) are also looking at it:, you can run PPPoE on it, IPoE, IPX for all the wholesale operator cares. If you want to do business VPN tails with /30 links and BGP you can, or you can use the BRAS in DHCP/IPoE mode (in which case all subs get a /32).

Beyond NZ, the model used by the Singapore NGBN is very similar as well.

The iDA has issued requirements to offer both L2 and L3 services on the
Wholesale OpCo network, specifically so that the retailers are not
constrained by the whoelsale network.

Want to run PPPoE? No problem.
Want to run ptp routed IPoE? No problem.
Want to run ptmp routed IPoE? No problem.
Want IPVPN? Done.

There is no provision for L2TP in the network, however.  The approach is
all VLL/VPLS/IP-VPN focused.

Handing off an 802.1ad tagged interface to the retailer with
sub-per-VLAN is the most flexible approach, although as John Edwards
pointed out, are correct that it does drive investment in BRAS/BNG
functions for the retailers.  This can be mitigated by what the NBN is
required to offer (e.g. hosted BNG functionality, if the retailer wants it).

Worldwide, wholesale GPON and DSL networks trend towards L2 handoff
solutions, either as VLL/802.1ad, or ATM VC. The use of L3 in the
wholesaler is reducing.

aj