[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be a PON variant for sure...

Curtis Bayne curtis.bayne at sonet.net.au
Wed Apr 29 09:40:15 EST 2009

I was kind of hoping that we had moved on from L3 customer access
tails - especially considering what Telstra taught us with their layer
3 wholesale access tails that they decomissioned years ago.

IPTV has a case for layer 3 access, but this is exactly what PVCs,
VLANs were invented for. I don't see any value being added by
providing wholesale services this way - I think the complexity added
by concentrating your own tunnels is offset by the flexibility you get
by doing so. I bet more than one person will want to use these
services as an MPLS endpoint - I would much rather be doing that with
a Layer 2 VC. Let's not forget multicast too - Especially if we want
to do that Highdef video conferencing everyone is talking about!

There are, if course, workarounds for most of these issues - perhaps I
am stuck in the stone age where ATM is considered a solution, rather
than a problem. In any case, I think it's pertinent to at least asess
the impact of relinquishing the flexibility that L2 access gives us.

Also, my tinfoil hat observes that it's far easier to perform
filtering between the concentrator and the end user with a layer 3
handoff. Maybe I am paranoid - with our governments perjorative, maybe
the paranoia is justified.

I am really interested to see AusNOGs opinion on layer 3 access - this
is something that many of you dealt with at an operational level for a
significant period of time with ADSL.

Regards,
Curtis

Managing Director