[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be a PON variant for sure...

John Lindsay jlindsay at internode.com.au
Wed Apr 29 08:28:52 EST 2009

No Macca, the perfect place is on the network side not inside your home.

In other parts of the world you tend to get boxes called ONT

http://www.enablence.com/fttx-networks/solutions/trident7/ont

that turn the PON into one, two or four flat or trunk Ethernet port(s).

Depending on the service provider and the customer desires, users then
either plug straight into the Ethernet for PPPoE or PPTP access or
they get a routed layer 3 IP address via DHCP that may or may not be
NATed.

Many parts of the world have gone down the Layer 3 to the customer
path for NBN type networks.

I'm not at all sure what will win in Australia.  It will probably come
down to some faceless advisor deciding during his/her morning shower.

I think you can make a very strong argument that Layer 3 is "greener"
which also means "cheaper to operate" on the basis of needing slightly
less boxes.

The Layer 2 thing can make life easier for LI, filtering, shaping and
billing but it really depends on your vendor choices.

HFC networks are often operated as Layer 3 with customers even being
able to see their neighbours at Layer 2.

ADSL networks are often operated as Layer 2 with all traffic
encapsulated in PPP.

But IPTV is much easier and more efficient if it's Layer 3 and ADSL
networks can do that too, even at the same time as encapsulating the
Internet access.

jsl