[AusNOG] What?

Tom Wright twright at internode.com.au
Mon Apr 27 14:49:41 EST 2009

The original article refers to "research " and "experts" -
presumably the press release (1) and study (2) conducted by the
"Nemertes Research" company.

The article seems to make reference to a lot of key words
mentioned in the study I've linked to below.

Although, the article in the Sunday Times states
"...a report being compiled by Nemertes Research..." -
"Ritter’s report will warn.." Suggesting that perhaps there's
some 'other' report being compiled, and their quotes from
"Ted Ritter" are taken from that 'other' report; its a little
dubious.

The study also uses the term 'brownouts', but says this: "One of
the greatest challenges we face is the perception that our model
predicts an Internet failure. This is incorrect.  Rather, it
predicts the potential for Internet brownouts when access demand
is greater than supply.", and then goes on to say "For example,
some access operators are putting caps on usage." - which has
been the case in Australia for many many years.

Finally, in the study's conclusion, they specifically state "Once
again, none of this means the Internet will abruptly stop working
(as some of the media and industry experts inaccurately portrayed
from our findings last year). Instead, the “slowdown” will be in
the area of innovation."

(1) http://www.nemertes.com/press_releases/nemertes_press_release_stress_fractures_internet_2012
(2) http://www.nemertes.com/internet_interrupted_why_architectural_limitations_will_fracture_net

Good old Advertiser, syndicating more rubbish!