[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sat Apr 11 22:48:23 EST 2009

Matthew,

On 11/04/2009, at 5:01 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

>> They would also have to make a ministerial determination
>> determination
>> under Schedule 3 to do this (make it a low impact facility).  No
>> biggie.
>> However, I know a couple of energy providers already talking
>> 'compensation'.  Maybe the Fed Gov is going to replicate the power
>> transmission infrastructure in order to teach them a lesson too? ;)
>>
> Ha!  The energy providers should have had the sense to run their own
> last-mile, but failed big time here in Oz.

Interestingly - there is/was a provider called "Bright" (a subsidiary
of Western Power - WAs energy provider .. since sold to Silk and now
onto Nextgen) - that run a bunch of fibre in inner metro areas as
underground power was being rolled out (obviously saved alot of cost
since they were already running alot of cable)

They've since gotten rid of all their residential services - so for
whatever reason, didn't turn out viable apparently. They still run
business services, tho (but basically Nextgen have just picked up the
fibre infrastructure really).

That said, I don't think it was pushed/marketed very well.  Not really
sure what happened over-all.  Shame really, I have bright fibre on the
street right behind me, I want my gigabit with unlimited data for
$50.. :P

Trent