[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Sat Apr 11 18:24:24 EST 2009

>I would hope
> with all this spending some serious upgrading of national
> infrastructure occurs and that broadband doesn't get the only
> (or largest) piece of the pie.

Meaning 50% or greater piece.  I'm OK with it being the largest, not
just larger than everything thing else.  Just wanted to clarify :)
Also:

> This is because overhead lines plus a Telstra and Optus HFC line is
added to the mix leaving little or no headroom for future electrical
capacity upgrades.

They would also have to make a ministerial determination determination
under Schedule 3 to do this (make it a low impact facility).  No biggie.
However, I know a couple of energy providers already talking
'compensation'.  Maybe the Fed Gov is going to replicate the power
transmission infrastructure in order to teach them a lesson too? ;)

It's going to be a hard road.  I sincerely hope that at the very least a
new national backhaul infrastructure is created by amalgamating
infrastructure from existing providers and new construction.  To me that
would have made this whole mess worthwhile.

[b]