[AusNOG] ALERT: Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

lists technical at halenet.com.au
Tue Apr 7 20:33:55 EST 2009

Hi All,

I don't like to be a wet blanket however personally I don't see how this can
be based on a viable business model.

$43, 000 million is $2000 per Australian  ouch.  It would be to depressing
to dived the number by the number of tax payers

using rounded figures there are about 10 million homes
=  4300 per home investment
assuming ever house 1. uses the internet and 2. takes up the service and 3.
a 40 year payback period with a  7.5% return (very long given the
electronics will have a lifespan of 10 or so years) then the business will
need to charge at least $28.30 ex to pay for the investment. plus add
running costs margin etc etc.  So I guess there will not be any change out
of $40.

The above is so totally unrealistic
It is more likely the internet penetration is around 50% of which x% will
want a fixed connection.  So best case is the monthly fee will need to be
twice the $28.30 at least = 56.50 + GST.   How many customers want to pay
$80 to $100 per month for broadband? If there is not a large take up the
figures simply get worse

of the 50% some will use mobile broadband

All this equalls a bad investment.   There should be more emphasis on
filling black spots were there is a need/demand than wasting money
duplicating existing infrastructure.  While some may believe it will bring
Telstra to heal I doubt it.  This could end up being a white elephant,
especially if Telstra decides to build FTTH and other retail operators
decide to build out there own networks.  Then there is the issue of what it
will do to the business models of companies that have deployed ADSL 2+
dslams.  What a financial mess, perhaps sanity will prevail. Perhaps the
government will buy back all the Telstra shares and restructure it to what
they want.  Who knows?  This decision seems rushed and ill thought out

Regards

Tim