[AusNOG] From DBCDE: National Broadband Network: 21st centurybroadband

Kevin Littlejohn darius at obsidian.com.au
Tue Apr 7 11:42:43 EST 2009

On 07/04/2009, at 11:32 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>>
>> On 07/04/2009, at 10:13 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>>
>>> and is it still split > 80% international usage for some weird
>>> reason?
>>
>> Most English language content is offshore.  So, what's wierd about
>> it?
>
> There's all this local bandwidth available between universities which
> the students (which I hung around; when I was doing a degree) would
> -love- to use national services, stuff on peering exchanges like
> WAIX which are in the "Free traffic zone", etc.
>
> The last time I worked at a university, AARNET were toeing the line
> that there's no guaranteed way of knowing whats local and what isn't;
> and if there's a billing dispute then the academic/student gets
> handed a large number and has to chase that up with the billing
> department.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the same at every university (I hope that not
> every university byte-charges like mine does/did!) but I do know that
> plenty of students, staff and academic simply download things at
> home and bring it back on campus instead of trying to download
> legitimate content on-campus, because their ISP is (much) less likely
> in 2009 to hit them with an excess usage bill. AARNET on the other
> hand will hit the university with an excess use fee. :)

AARNet has nothing to do with charging anyone other than the
University - not students, staff, or faculties.  AARNet don't charge
an "excess use fee" as such.

AARNet publish a BGP-extracted list of "on-net" IPs - that's IP
addresses which are routing within their network.  Most, possibly all,
Universities use that to differentiate charging to students and staff
(where charging can be quota management or charging dollars).

If students are downloading personal content at home, then I'd imagine
most Universities would count that a policy success - the AARNet
network is designed around providing good solid research/academic
access (and their speeds for that are unparalleled in Australia), not
around commercial 'net access.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for AARNet, never have, but we deal with
various Universities for billing and quota management, so I have a
passing knowledge.  I'm certain there are better-qualified more
knowledgeable people than I on this list ;)

I don't know whether the peered locations are counted as on-net - it
wouldn't surprise me if they are.

(Incidentally, _most_ Universities are quota'ing students and charging
something to individual departments/faculties based on the total per-
year AARNet charge and each faculties' proportional use thereof.)

KevinL