[AusNOG] NBN by the Government - Do we care?
Sean K. Finn
Sean.Finn at ozservers.com.au
Tue Apr 7 10:19:30 EST 2009
13. Who is going to peer with them? Its great having a super fast peer-to-peer network, But I'm pretty sure Telstra won't be impressed
14. Where are they going to get outstanding staff that really know their stuff?
From: ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Skeeve Stevens
Sent: Tuesday, 7 April 2009 10:18 AM
To: ausnog at ausnog.net
Subject: [AusNOG] NBN by the Government - Do we care?
I realise this morning is going to be a huge debate about what the government has announced, but... in my opinion - Why is it bad?
1. The legislative/legal issues for a Federal government company will be far less than any private company
2. The government would unlikely ever do retail (Rudd states that now)
3. It would be safe to assume that everyone would have fair and equal access - it would be hard for them not to do it
4. They are unlikely to wholesale it themselves, but will most likely assign a few agents who buy large access to the NBN and resell it downstream (my opinion only)
5. Pricing should be better than any private company doing it
6. They are unlikely to have major financial issues that the government can't bail them out of by raising our taxes ;-)
7. They say they will maintain a controlling interest - we can only assume that will stay around for a while
8. I'd like to see Telstra try to refuse the government access to exchanges - high court here we come!
9. Honestly, it makes me feel more comfortable having the government in charge
10. It is going to create a massive amount of IT jobs - a bunch of us here will probably end up working there
11. They won't lay the fibre themselves - I see a LOT of work for those that do - it probably won't go to one company - this could make Pipe, Nextgen and others very happy as they spread the work around
12. Anyone want to add more?
Skeeve Stevens, CEO/Technical Director
eintellego Pty Ltd - The Networking Specialists
skeeve at eintellego.net / www.eintellego.net<http://www.eintellego.net>
Phone: 1300 753 383, Fax: (+612) 8572 9954
Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 / skype://skeeve
NOC, NOC, who's there?
Disclaimer: Limits of Liability and Disclaimer: This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain sensitive and private proprietary or legally privileged information. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. eintellego Pty Ltd and each legal entity in the Tefilah Pty Ltd group of companies reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity. Any reference to costs, fee quotations, contractual transactions and variations to contract terms is subject to separate confirmation in writing signed by an authorised representative of eintellego. Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard inbound and outbound e-mails, we cannot guarantee that attachments are virus-free or compatible with your systems and do not accept any liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the AusNOG