[AusNOG] Trojan spam run with Facebook hook (AUSCERT#2009abf45)

matthew at auscert.org.au matthew at auscert.org.au
Thu Apr 2 12:33:14 EST 2009

G'day all,

We are seeing a decent trojan spam out using Facebook as the hook.  The
emails all differ slightly but possess the same characteristics.  Eg:

  From: "Facebook presentment" <support60 at facebook.com>
  Subject: Facebook announcement: Great looking girl having fun (Last rated
  by Bradford Collins)

  Messages from Your Friends on Facebook, April 01, 2009

  You have 1 friend requests - Personal Message:
  Watch the video titled "Drunk Charlize is dancing striptease on my
  Birthday Party, March 28, 2009! We're absolutely shocked!".

  Proceed to view full message:

  hxxp://facebook.shared.id-etsmrnhy5e.subject.876panel. com/home.htm?/identification/authentication=0616n9m12

  Added 16 minutes ago.  Message ID: FB-06nnzbrxizjrzvr
  2009 Facebook community, Message Center.

Multiple domains are being used all following a naming scheme of

  [3-5 digit number]panel.com

Eg:

       2349panel. com
       43553panel. com
       654panel. com
       876panel. com
       987panel. com

Is anyone else seeing a decent run of this?

Just trying to work out how widespread it is as we are preparing to do an
alert on it.

Apologies if you see this across a few lists - looking for any feedback
on numbers on this (and it is all appreciated).

Best regards,

- -- Matthew McGlashan --
Coordination Centre Team Leader             | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
Australian Computer Emergency Response Team | Direct:  +61 7 3365 7924
(AusCERT)                                   | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland                | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                          | Email: auscert at auscert.org.au