[AusNOG] Write up - Big ISP, little ISP, local internet exchanges

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Tue Sep 9 11:35:52 EST 2008

>> ie. how would I solve the /22 into transit, /24 more specifics via
>> MLPA
>> any better in your model?   What extra control and nerd knobs do I
>> get?
>
> The model was that there were two or three routing clouds: An users
> and services cloud, and transit network cloud. The goal is to have
> the /22s are known in the transit cloud, the /24s are known in the
> services cloud.

I understand that's the goal, but the reality is - how does your model
give me the actual ability to do that?
If I can conjure up a set of filters to do that in your model, then I
can equally apply that same filter set to the current model.   Why do
I need three different clouds and tunnels to apply a set of filters
that I can apply anyway?

ie.  if I can come up with a filter that's smart enough not to
propogate /24s from an IX when I have a /20 from a transit customer at
the border between your "clouds" then why can't I just apply that same
smart filter at the peering router where I connect to the peering
exchange?  What does the extra clouds buy me?

> On the border between the transit cloud and the local internet
> exchange, you do nothing because that border doesn't exist.

You've lost me here.    How do my transit customers get access to the
resources at the internet exchanges I peer at?   Why not just drop
peering at MLPAs?

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia