[AusNOG] dial-up modem with 48v DC power option?

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Sat Sep 6 01:42:29 EST 2008

Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Chris,
> Buying modems for OOB management is getting harder and harder.

Hmmm.... so I see a couple reasons for OOB management:

1) Configuration errors made remotely that disable remote access somehow.
2) Outbound links go down.

For reason number 1 wouldn't it be far cheaper to have a DSL line with
static IP hooked up to a low end cisco/juniper/linux box that would get
you into the network and access to a terminal server?

For reason number 2 you can't do anything till the links come back up
anyway in most cases. If just one link went down I would hope you
already have BGP/OSPF/HSRP etc setup to change to the other traffic path
automatically.

So I'm not quite sure what good a modem would do.

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com