[AusNOG] Write up - Big ISP, little ISP, local internet exchanges

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Sep 5 11:54:36 EST 2008

Edwin,
What you've described is much of the reasoning as to why most of the
peering world doesn't like MLPAs - a lack of control and opportunities
for transit theft.

Have you actually used your complex multiple ASes and IP-IP tunnels in
practice?  It sounds fairly unwieldly compared to the various
filtering and contractual options available.

MMC

On 05/09/2008, at 9:36 AM, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> Now that I have a lot more free time and as a result my mind is
> settling and things start to fall in place and actually make sense,
> I have time to write up ideas, stories and experiences in the field
> of inter-networking.
>
> One of the more interesting issues with internet exchanges is that
> you sometimes get unexpected results with regarding to routing and
> the possibilities it gives.
>
> At http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/html/00247.html I have placed a
> write up called "Big ISP, little ISP, local internet exchanges"
> which is about the behaviour you initially don't expect, but is
> perfectly explainable, when the local internet exchange gets hooked
> up by both "edge ISPs" and "transit providers" and what transit
> providers can do about it to overcome it.
>
> Edwin
> --
> Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
> edwin at mavetju.org    |              Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/

Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909