[AusNOG] FTTH - Dreaming?

Colwell, Scott scott.colwell at nn.com.au
Mon Sep 1 10:22:20 EST 2008

Tim is making a valid point here.  I'd like to just generalise this a
bit more
and talk about anybody in the local Telco business making a big
investment
in infrastructure.

(BTW, I do work for Nextgen but these opinions are mine and were formed
well before
I joined Nextgen.)

I saw this happen a number of times in the '90s (and later) where
someone
would put together the capital to build a piece of infrastructure that
competed against the incumbent's infrastructure.

The usual argument went:
1/ cheaper to build (than the incumbent's was)
2/ cheaper to operate than the incumbent's
3/ we have lower overheads than the incumbent
4/ Hence we must be able to make money.

This was predicated on pricing being at worst, cost+margin.
But often the plan went pear shaped.

Why?  Because the incumbent could always decide that the capital
invested in
their infrastructure was a sunk cost and hence "free".  (I'm not privy
to the
decision making process, so I can't comment on motive.)

Now, my contribution to the discussion:

There were some successes.  The landscape is littered with failures but
not
everybody who tried, failed.

There is some competition for long haul BW.  There is some competition
for
DSL tails.  There is some competition for international.

This has two consequences.

1/ We should understand why some succeeded.  Was it just luck?  Was the
incumbent
looking the other way at the critical moment?

2/ The existence of these successes makes it tougher to get regulatory
help.
Their existence supports a claim of "market forces are working normally
here."

Scott