[AusNOG] native v6 transit?

Stephen Baxter Stephen.Baxter at staff.pipenetworks.com
Tue Mar 18 16:22:43 EST 2008

This topic seems to come up a bit lately, for those not on the SIG-IX
list it might be well worth a look.

PIPE IPv6 is offered as a hybrid solution where we utilise the current
fabric mostly occupied by IPv4 but have separate IPv6 route servers for
operational reasons to ensure that wayward 6 issues do not impact (at
Layer 3 at least anyhow) our 4 peering.

PIPE are keen to (potentially) look at buying some 6 transit and
injecting it to the various 6 fabrics we have. We would obviously look
at a mechanism for peers to realise what routes are what with respect to
6 transit routes and peer routes then make their own decision on whether
they use the routes. This transit would also come with an open source
guarantee - you break it then you get to keep both bits ! We will
provide it for the purpose of furthering 6 take up in this region.

Would this cause operational issues for anybody ?

We welcome any feedback on this plan :-)

Cheers,

SB