[AusNOG] Lantronix console servers ?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Jun 27 08:44:18 EST 2008

On 24 Jun 2008, at 08:43, David J. Hughes wrote:

> Anyone have current experience with the Lantronix EDS range of
> console servers  (EDS16PR etc)?  Someone asked my thoughts but been
> using Opengear for a while.  Anyone got comments (off list is fine).

I've deployed Lantronix, Cyclades, and Opengear in the past 3 years in
different environments, and the range of features was broadly
equivalent for the customers' needs as large enterprise networks.  All
supported ethernet and dial in from phone access.  All could connect
to the serial ports on all of their infrastructure (normally cisco, or
juniper edge devices, and a variety of different platforms running
Linux on intel pcs, or in one case Sun Netra), although sometimes with
the aid of an inexpensive dongle/adapter.

In Europe at least, the Opengear kit was the price leader at the time
of the last roll out, and the kit blew me away with how good it was at
the price.

Really, all of these devices are customised linux boxes with a ton of
serial ports and a bunch of applications to make admin easy...

Andy