[AusNOG] AusNOG-02

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:49:07 EST 2008

On 6/23/08, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> Have you hit up ISOC yet?  I thought bankrolling NOGs was what they were
> for?  :-)

ISOC-AU has been focusing on running a successful IPv6 Summit over the
last few years but prior to that was doing an annual one day event
either as 'Connecting the Future' or 'Designing the Future' (See
http://www.isoc-au.org.au/ and scroll down to Activities). It probably
will do the latter again in the future, partly depending on the
success and flavour AUSNOG develops: we'd want to suplement that not
detract from it.

I'm sure we'd be happy to be involved, but I wouldn't use the term
'bankrolling'... It is possible that ISOC-AU could get a wider variety
of sponsorship and that might bring the price down. ISOC-AU may be a
'not for profit organisation', but it cannot run at a loss, either.
We're pretty good at running things on a shoestring!

I'd also have to agree strongly with what others have said: these
things are incredibly time consuming to organise, and to get the best
value for attendees they need to contain a lot of solid information,
not just vendor gumph. Ie rank as valuable training. Compare with what
you'd pay for a Cisco, Juniper, Microsoft etc course...

Regards

Narelle
VP ISOC-AU

--