[AusNOG] AusNOG-02

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Mon Jun 23 21:47:51 EST 2008

$quoted_author = "James Spenceley" ;

> Anyway, I'd love to hear some feedback, is $600 too much ?

The pricing last year was a no brainer "let's go!" which is possibly why
there was such demand.

It's hard to put a number on what is "reasonable" because it's only with
access to the costs involved that someone can make the price/demand/quality
tradeoffs.

> Is anyone not coming because of the price hike ?

No, it will just require a better justification to my employer of the
benefits of attendance.

Last year you could just send the URL of the website and it sold itself. It
could be just as easy this year with a comprehensive website setup.

> Do people see value in AusNOG getting to a position of financial
> independence ?

Yes. Normally there is some kind of association or company behind these
sorts of things which provides the capital to grease the wheels. That it's
coming out of the pockets of a few individuals is extraordinarily generous
to the rest of the community and the least we could do is support this
conference at a price that the organisers determine makes it viable.

cheers
Marty