[AusNOG] Small Pipe BNE/Agile issue

McDonald Richards macca at vocus.com.au
Sun Jun 15 17:39:25 EST 2008

> Naturally you want me to send traffic to you via peering rather than
> transit but at the end of the day that's not your decision to make.
> I'm sending the traffic and I'll apply my policy.

This one's been bugging me all day. I tried to stay out of it - but I gotta
get my hands dirty :)

The commercial reality is that we all pay for traffic in both directions and
since most ISPs choke more on inbound traffic than outbound due to the
asymmetric nature of the services they offer, they're inclined to harness
the awesome powers of the BGP path selection algorithm to massage their
inbound traffic flow. This is something we've all had to do in the past to
balance traffic on multiple transit links that may be of different shapes
and sizes, but we're stuck with for commercial reasons (you mean I can't
cancel this STM-1 for another year?! Etc).

It also really becomes necessary when dealing with transit players who don't
peer and you have expensive "backup" links to. No matter how many pre-pends
you stick on that /23, you're getting all their local traffic and any
traffic of their transit customers.

If someone has a better solution to this, please educate away!

Macca