[AusNOG] James is still a nice guy - For APNIC EC - any comments?

David J. Hughes David at hughes.com.au
Thu Jul 31 08:53:07 EST 2008

James has a fantastic chance of getting onto the APNIC EC this time
around if we all get behind him.  There's a significant amount of geo-
political horse trading required to even have a look in. James has
done the hard yards over many years, formed the relationships, and is
in with a good shot.

The main thing that I learned from last time was that votes are not
worth much - but proxy votes are worth gold !!   With the "unusual"
way the process deals with votes (i.e. everybody can cast all their
votes multiple times) having people vote for you is not what you
need.  To have any chance of getting Australian representation on the
EC we all need to provide James with our proxy votes.  He can then
"horse trade" as required with the delegates from the main voting
blocks and dramatically increase the value of each vote we cast for him.

When the time comes I'll try to help James as much as he helped me
last time.  I'm happy to help organise proxy paperwork etc as that is
what James needs to get elected.  I'm sure we'll discuss this closer
to the event but I think this is the best chance we've had in a long,
long time to have some Australian representation on the APNIC EC.

David