[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke (can we stop the James is a nice bloke thing) ; -)

Steve Baxter steve at thebaxters.com
Thu Jul 31 06:41:08 EST 2008

> I do not understand the resistance to ipv6, or the "OMG we will all be

It is not resistance to IPv6 - far from it. It is resistance to thinking
that any good can come from making every device in the consumers home
publically addressable by default. People who suggest it I think have
never worked on a service provider helpdesk when worms/other nasties
that own computers have been released into the wild. There needs to be a
step in the quality of gateway devices available to end users before
this is seen as a good idea.

> hax0red and our devices 0wn3d when NAT goes away".

But this is my fear - given the past issues with security I think it
very well founded.

> Many enterprises (especially in the US) have large swaths of publicly
> routable address space and mitigate risk with
> policy based security.

Which is precisely what every home will not have. Even the policy based
security employed by large companies with dollars to spend still see
issues - hacks still occur. Consumers will have a sub $100 thing that
will never see a software upgrade in its life with software written to
an internal quality policy that read 'if it compiles - it works'.

SB