[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

Michael Kratz mkratz at internode.com.au
Sat Jul 19 23:37:57 EST 2008

Bevan Slattery wrote:
> Amen to that!

+1!

Especially now that it seems the new in feature is fast becoming
'Ethernet' (or Internet connectivity) on typical home devices. e.g.
There are TV's and Amplifiers and other multimedia devices coming onto
the market (or already out) now with Ethernet ports and TCP/IP stacks!

And, whilst its easy for people to point and say, well, use a firewall.
The average Joe wouldn't have a clue, nor care, nor understand the
implications. They'll install "Norton" on their computer and assume
everything is dandy and they're "protected".

For all the perceived 'evilness' that some people seem to sprout, NAT
has done a lot more for the common, less-tech-savvy person, and their
home network 'security', than many people give it credit for.

Yes of course it's 'bad' to 'rely' on it, but the reality is, outside of
the tech savvy community, most common folk don't know and don't care.
They just want to plug into the "Internets" and have it work.

The other issue that comes to mind, is that NAT makes portability for
small businesses and home users, dead set easy. They don't need to
renumber their entire LAN every time they shift ISPs if it's behind NAT.

</rant>

--
Michael