[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Jul 18 10:32:43 EST 2008

Free != Allocatable.

ie.  I have an (ancient) class C of my own at home.   I use about 10
addresses all up.   So there are, let's call it 244 free.
But no one can get an allocation out of that or, for example, Apple's /8.

(I have a /56 IPv6 range as well - but haven't found a database big
enough to allocate to all my atoms yet - it's hard enough coming up with
a name for a child, let alone 2^56 atoms or even Molecules!  Daddy I'm
an atom not a number)

Even if there are free IPs if I, as an ISP, can't obtain further
allocations, then I can't service more customers.

As many people have point out - once we get down to arguing about what's
actually not used then the game is pretty much over IPv4 wise.

I'm just hoping that the free-and-easy sparse allocation scheme to try
and reduce the "routing table" size doesn't get us to "no allocatable"
space in IPv6 quicker than we might have hoped.   But history never
repeats, I tell myself before I goto sleep.

MMC