[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Jul 17 17:50:48 EST 2008

On 17 Jul 2008, at 06:17, Noel Butler wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 12:21, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>> “The internet is running out of IPv4 space. Global exhaustion is
>> likely to happen in the next 2-3 years, so it’s a critical time for
>> Australia to start contributing to the allocation policies within
>> our region,” said Spencely.
> And we were running out in " just two to three years time" back in
> '98 / '99 as well :)
> FUD... Oh sure it will happen, and possibly in the next decade, but
> more likely towards the end of it.

There are ~40 /8s unallocated to the RIRs by IANA

10 /8s were allocated to RIRs in 2006.
13 /8s were allocated to RIRs in 2007.

Assuming there is no rush to landgrab space, if we consume v4
resources at the same rate as last year, then that's three years.
Assuming demand for address resources is growing, then that means we
have two to three years.

Best wishes
Andy