[AusNOG] Anyone know a good client side performance tool?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Mon Jul 7 17:54:35 EST 2008

Narelle wrote:
> I'll clarify some more...
>
> I want to drop some cheap probes around the network that look a lot
> like what customers actually use...
>
> ie measure what they experience, log it, then compile...

I'm not sure what your customers do, but there are many linux client
side things which you can instrument fairly easily - eg. wget/various
pop mail downloaders etc.  Then you can time them/graph them etc and
look for patterns.  From a purely network point of view smokeping is
something some people like.
> and I want to standardise on this (until I do something better) and
> use it across the range of access types our customers use
>
> you can't actually use gamers ;-P as there isn't the numbers of them
> in statistically good samples across all access types

We've got peaks of over 2400 of them on game server clusters around
Australia so they make good canaries.

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia