[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internet and mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Jan 17 17:45:39 EST 2008

> Are you saying that in the UK things other than the 3 areas above
> can be blocked by UK government/agencies?  For instance could a
> site be blocked because it is critical of government?

The IWF publish the filtering information  to the membership organisations who
subscribe.  Those membership organisations can then include the URLs,
keywords and spam email information in their products, but must not
include the raw lists themselves.

> Is the issue that the IWF could start adding other types of content
> to its stop list merely by IWF making a policy change, rather than
> requiring a legislative change to enable it?

Sure, but you can always vet the IWF lists to make sure they aren't.
Your clients can't, but you can. As long as they publish the raw lists
to their members then I don't see the problem.

> Since Senator Conroy seems to be holding up the UK system as a model
> of what he would like to see, I'd like to understand the UK system.

As an exercise I'm actually looking at IWF affiliate membership to gain
access to the lists. I've got pricing and information.

Adrian