[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Barrie Hall barrie at mypond.net
Thu Jan 17 10:47:15 EST 2008

> The UK government want to ban 'bad' things using a stoplist.  http://
> www.iwf.org.uk/
>
> The problem is that they are marketing this as a tool to stop child
> porn, when in fact it's described in law as a mechanism to filter any
> questionable (from the government POV) content.
>
> This is an excellent resource on content blocking information :
> http://publicaffairs.linx.net/news/?cat=43

Andy,

Interesting...

Do you have any information/links etc regarding:

1) What the govt in the UK is trying to achieve (policy statements, etc)
2) Any info on legislation which is under consideration/ been passed etc in
the UK

Do you think the UK govt is thinking of getting tougher in the area of
Internet filtering?

We are working in a bit of a policy/legislation vacuum at the moment here in
Australia (i.e The new Labor govt want to do "something", where "something"
is still rather ill-defined).

Cheers,
Barrie