[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules forage-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th ofjanuary 2008

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Sun Jan 13 14:00:01 EST 2008

Awesome response... will they print it?

-----Original Message-----
From: ausnog-bounces at ausnog.net [mailto:ausnog-bounces at ausnog.net] On Behalf
Of Mark Newton
Sent: Sunday, 13 January 2008 1:49 PM
To: Curtis Bayne
Cc: ausnog at ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules forage-restricted

On 13/01/2008, at 1:06 PM, Curtis Bayne wrote:

> EDIT: I apologize if this double posts - I think the first message
> may have been dropped for its size.
>
> ----
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Just to keep the discussion alive - I found this article floating
> around today.
>
> http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23021828-15306,00.html

And the LTE I sent in response (which also hasn't been published):

Dear Editor,

Bernadette McMenamin's ridiculous puff piece in your newspaper should
not be allowed to pass without criticism ("Filters needed to battle
child porn," January 8
2008,http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23021828-5013038,00.h
tml)

Firstly: I invite your readers to apply some critical thinking to the
statistics she included in the article opener.  Does anyone seriously
believe that something which is illegal in every jurisdiction on
earth, and which attracts the death penalty in some jurisdictions, is
actually so wildly popular that it's a US$3b industry on 100,000
websites?  Perhaps she ought to explain how she defines, "child
pornography," whether it's the same definition adopted by the law, and
the source of her statistics.  Indeed, perhaps all readers would have
been better off if The Australian performed that questioning first...?

Bernadette writes, "In my experience and according to our research,
Australians do care and want something to be done," then continues
with the Sir Humphrey-esque conclusion that the thing that must be
done is the thing that the new Government has proposed.  That proposal
happens to be largely identical to the one which the previous
Government abandoned in 1999 after confirming (with the assistance of
industry, CSIRO and the independent Ovum Report) that wide-scale
Government mandated ISP-side censorship was too expensive, too
ineffective and carried too much of a performance penalty to be
applicable to the Australian marketplace.  After Australia's moral
foundation seems to have avoided slipping into the abyss in the 8
years since the previous Government found that realization, is it
worth questioning why various special interests think it's so urgent
to suddenly change policy direction now?

Bernadette cites "clean feed" systems in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and
the UK as examples to emulate;  If they were half as good as she has
proposed, that'd imply that there'd be no online traders of illegal
material in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the UK, and that Internet
users in those countries would actually be prevented from viewing it.
Both of those conclusions would be false.

The UK "clean feed" system she cites is also in no way comparable to
what the Australian Government has proposed:  It's a purely voluntary
commercial system provided to ISPs by British Telecom (BT), which, to
date, has enjoyed somewhat lacklustre market acceptance.  If
Bernadette seriously believes that the provision of an optional system
which isn't very popular is an Internet pornography panacea, then I'd
respectfully point out that Australia already has systems like that
from vendors such as Optus and WebShield, and if her battle has
already been won perhaps she can stop fighting it.

Moving past the particulars of the wrongheadedness of her argument,
though, I want to take particular issue with the way she has portrayed
people who oppose mandatory Australia-wide censorship of Internet
content as supporters of child pornography.

This debate has swung back and forth across the Australian political
landscape for nearly 20 years, ever since the first Senate Select
Committee into Online Services examined the BBS industry in 1990.
Over that time, a few useful datapoints have emerged:

Firstly:  Every time the issue has been revisited, fortellers of doom
and gloom have suggested that failure to ban various types of Internet
content will inevitably lead to the end of society as we know it.

... and yet, with 20 years of hindsight, we can see that the children
who were being brought up with unfiltered Internet access in 1990 are
now productive adults in 2008, with firmly calibrated moral compasses,
steadfastly refusing to be stereotyped as child molesters and axe
murderers;  and the parents who are portrayed as having such a
terminally inadequate grasp of technology as to inhibit their child-
rearing obligations are, in 2008, some of the same people who used
Google to help with their physics projects in high school.  Nearly
twenty years of history shows us that society isn't harmed by
unfiltered access to the network.  I believe most people, even the
politically motivated ones who flog this dead horse every few years,
understand this reality.  Considering all the water that's flowed
under this particular bridge, it's hard to believe that two decades of
campaigning could leave any serious observer with cause to believe
filtering is actually necessary.

Secondly:  The many responses to Government enquiries, Senate Select
Committees and newspaper letters to the editor from Industry, civil
libertarians, technologists and concerned citizens should, after all
this time, make it patently obvious to even the most uninformed
observer that there are reasons to oppose these schemes which have
nothing to do with support for child pornography.

If Bernadette's accusatory offensiveness is to be believed, Telstra, a
paragon of Corporate Australia who just happens to also be an opposer
of this Government's filtering plans, supports child pornography.

Now which alternative is easier to believe?  That Bernadette is right,
and those who oppose filtration are closet child absusers?  Or that
there are serious, well considered, legitimate technical, legal and
public policy questions which need to be answered before these
proposals should be allowed to pass?

Bernadette McMenamin has joined Senator Stephen Conroy in directing
personal abuse at those who dare to ask those questions.  Quite aside
from the effect that insulting behaviour has on the public debate,
it's worth asking whether that kind of outrageous conduct has any
place in the pages of this newspaper.

Mark Newton

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999