[AusNOG] BSA Act part 3 (Filtering)

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Wed Jan 2 14:58:17 EST 2008

On 02/01/2008, at 2:21 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> Why?  Because no one's developed a good, line rate, classify all
> content by morals system.  Because it's HARD.

If we're getting all political, lets make sure we get our language
sorted
out.

It isn't because it's "hard," it's because it's "impossible."

Politicians look at "hard" problems as challenges to be surmounted.  One
needs only to apply sufficient quantities of labour and money to make
"hard" problems go away.  The Iraq war and climate change are examples
of "hard" problems.

"Impossible" problems are fruitless endeavors to pursue, resulting in
the
waste of an otherwise promising career on worthless busywork.  These
problems don't come with any glory or advancement attached because
they have no solution so nobody can ever claim credit for solving them.

What we are talking about in this thread isn't "difficult," or,
"hard," or
"infeasible," or, "impractical."

It's "impossible."

If we're going to be talking about this stuff, getting this one defining
characteristic right is far and away the most important message that
can be sent.

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999