[AusNOG] BSA Act part 3 (Filtering)

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Wed Jan 2 14:51:26 EST 2008

$quoted_author = "Bevan Slattery" ;

> Again MMC - you are putting words in my mouth.  I said that it would be
> quite capable of intercepting a 'flow' and assess whether that portion
> of flow is on the 'list'.  I wasn't saying you should intercept the
> flow, reconstruct it get some intelligent software to consider it's
> classification based on the number of flesh colored pixels and moaning.
> Are you suggesting that with the current P2P caching systems out there
> they can't determine the file (or portion thereof) from the flows so it
> can provide a locally cached copy of it?  Seriously?  Then how does a
> P2P caching system work?  It just inserts some locally cached content
> randomly in the hope that it's the same as being sought?  Of course not.
> Based upon flows it can identify what is actually being transmitted and
> then it substitute it's local copy.
>
> The difference here MMC is that it doesn't CLASSIFY the CONTENT, it
> IDENTIFIES the FILE and checks it against a list.

Bevan, you keep going on about "a list", but what does it contain? File
names? Sizes? MD5 hashes?

How does that take into account things like rips at different bitrates,
images of different compressions and words in different formats?

How many permutations are possible and who is going to classify them all?

cheers
marty

--
M. Cullen  "I suffered from chronic hypochondria for years, eventually went to
	    a naturopath, and was cured with a course of broad-spectrum

[1] - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/08/1070732142498.html