[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Wed Jan 2 14:16:53 EST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> Perhaps google could provide a little URL checking service of whether
> they thought it was adult safe or not, becuase they already have a-lot
> of crazy scalable infrastructure - but I'm waiting for the law suits
> for mis-listing :)

Google do do a anti-phishing system that foxfox is using. One of the
firefox guys that they would probably give the ability for other outfits
to hook into the system (both using and providing a list of bad sites).

Last time this idea cropped up I seem to remember the cheapest solution
for most providers was to have a default "filtered" account which would be
unable to do just about anything ( RFC 1918 ip , all web and DNS points to
account settings page). Customers would then opt-out of this to full
normal full Internet access.

Many ISPs already have something similar setup to encourage customers who
are late paying their bills or are infected so the additional cost should
be too much.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.